Here is something that a lot of us experience as modern card collectors: This week, my sister handed me a stack of 5 cards that she wants to know the value of. I don’t remember them exactly but the details are as follows:
- Kobe floor relic, not protected
- Antawn Jamison jersey
- Brad Johnson autograph in a screw down
- a random Tim Salmon insert from the junk wax era
- and finally a random Nene numbered rookie card
I estimated the value at give or take $20 to $60. She was so disappointed that she asked me if I was sure and I showed her my sources, COMC & eBay sold listings. She was convinced that because the card was in a screw down that it was worth more. I hated having to explain to her that if she sold it in a screw down then that would make a lot of hardcore collectors run away. I also had to explain that with the exception of Kobe that a lot of the values on the cards peaked when they were playing because we are not talking about Hall of Famers.
With the Kobe card selling at $12, I told her to keep it because it is the only one that will age well. I told her that if she might as well sell the Brad Johnson card. My reasoning for that is that his value will probably stay the same. An $8 autograph now will sell for the same price later just adjusted for inflation. I said that she might as well give the other cards to her kids.
If you are reading this as someone new to the hobby then the first things that you need to realize is that those cards you are sitting on are probably not worth the cost of annual storage space.
Thanks for reading, expect a Random Review on one of the social media channels today. That will be posted here in the next day or two.
I was guilty of putting a penny sleeve on a card today. I was cleaning and the card was staring at me.
I should have cleaned my desk as I have several stacks of cards on there but then I would have had to sort through it. I felt that I was cheating if I had to sleeve more cards, make a pc pile, make a donation one, and if needed trade bait pile.
I started reading a book. I didn’t start it to distract myself because I read a lot. What is relevant is that I used a card as a bookmark. Instead of a card, and touching a card consistently during this challenge, I used something else.
I put off picking up an order at a store so I pretty much haven’t cheated.
Did a ton of work for the site. I can’t believe that I started this site 4 years ago. The ‘Who’ and ‘Why’ portions are no longer 4 years old. I have been playing around with logos for ages and finally came across that I was happy with. I am happy with the logo above but you can’t exactly put it on a shirt or sticker because of the colors and way that it is designed. I have spent a good 50 hours since I started this site working on logo related material. I have downloaded a lot of image editing programs, paid a few people to design one, and turned over a few more stones. As I spent 2 more hours doing on logo related work, I said to myself that the best things come by accident. I should add, and with patience. As I essentially gave up, I stumbled upon something that I am finally happy with.
Still feeling the effects of not checking card sites; especially for the trade deadline. There were two prospects traded that I wanted to check values on because I may have their cards. Between cross referencing receipts to see if I had them and checking recent sales, I felt it on Tuesday.
Of course a redemption that I was waiting six months for comes in the mail . I did not open the package. Also an eBay purchase came in the mail. Another one that I didn’t open. I haven’t been on eBay a lot and that was my only one.
Where I have been spending my money was on Random Review material and a breaker. You may have noticed that I publicized Maine Sports Cards changing their name to The Breaker Exchange. I don’t consider that a cheat as I have been sitting on that information for a while and was waiting to publicize it.
I may have lingered on a Steel City post and a sale post that I thought was too good be true. It took a few seconds to go ‘no, bad Daniel.’ I gave myself a break as it was 8 seconds of hiccups on a day that I fee the homeless. Speaking of that, there is another day that I felt this. You may notice I do a lot of my Random Review, usually Twitter preview posts, on the third and fifth Tuesdays of the month. I have been known to bust open some product afterward on those days.
Day 5 has been the easiest to date. I am appreciating the money that I saved. Two dollars here, five there, twenty there add up. I say this as I am catching myself doing it with other purchases regarding necessities that I would do anyway.
This has made me appreciate the work that I put into AngryCardCollector as a whole. I am constantly on the lookout for things to post, people to interact with, cool products to buy that would be cool to write about. I am the type who feels like I can always do more but doesn’t take time to smell the roses. This is what makes me a good coach. I can tell you a thousand more ways that I want to improve the site even though I am doing a thousand currently.
Seeing a lot of posts from National. Shout out to the average collector who didn’t/couldn’t attend. Remember, it may not seem like it but we are in the majority. That said, I hope to make National one year; hopefully next year.
I really have only played 2 games the past few years. Baseball Mogul is one of them. Right now they have a deal that is worth checking out.
Buy Baseball Mogul 2018 here.
Use code DEADLINE for the next few days to get any 2018 game for half off.
Lastly, today is the last day to buy my book for $2.99. The price goes up tomorrow. You can buy my book here: https://www.amazon.com/My-Life-Fiction-Coaching-Diaries-ebook/dp/B072S2YL6Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533063041&sr=8-1&keywords=my+life+is+fiction+daniel+dubay
If you read my last post, you will know that I gave up cards for a week.
Not sure if this is because of my card break but music has helped me so far. Specifically my love for punk music. Hulu has an L7 documentary and Amazon Prime has the Fat Wrecords documentary.
I am underemployed but I am constantly working. No joke, I am either reading or trying to make money as I rarely play games. The videos above have been mainly background noise. I didn’t appreciate how much cards were a mental break from the monotony of my daily hustle. Sometimes I need to turn off my music, and just let my brain relax for a few seconds. That is where cards help.
Doing this during the MLB trade deadline has been my hardest part. When I see a prospect traded, I don’t go to the prospects lists. I check out their card value or if they even have a card first to help me determine if they are a good prospect.
Also with NFL training camps opening I am tempted to check the price on some stand out draft picks. With this, my challenge has at probably saved my wallet as I have been known to buy someone’s card on COMC if it is under $3 and an analyst thinks they have potential.
Looks like COMC is having a sale through August 5th. Noticed from an email headline and Facebook scrolling. I manage a few brands on Facebook so it wasn’t cheating. Regardless, I will miss it and it is for the best. If you read my last post, you will see that I called a sale happening right now; granted I didn’t name COMC.
It is still hard to avoid all the National Collectors Convention hoopla. I can’t exactly shut down my Twitter account for a week; and I definitely can’t get away with that on Facebook. I am doing my best.
– Do not browse.
– Do not add anything to my collection.
– Do not sell any cards.
– Do not even look at cards in any card aisle or online.
– This will last from Sunday July 29th at Midnight until Monday August 6th at 12:01 am.
– Not allowed to go to COMC, eBay (for sports cards or anything sports team related), breaker sites, card sites (I am looking at you CincySportsCards), or anything in the card collecting realm. This includes searching blasters and even taking advantage of any great deals that present themselves-watch Target have a fifty percent off coupon all blasters this week with my luck.
– I am willing to RT any tags on Twitter that are not sales related. Go ahead and tag me in blog posts. I do ask in return that you RT any of my blog posts. Since I am avoiding cards, my use of Twitter will be limited. Social media is not an exception.
– Do not purposely open any card related email unless it is a personal email. Basically any emails that go out to multiple people will be ignored but I will give the courtesy to answer any emails from an individual. This will allow me the next one:
Caveats and exceptions:
– I can work on the site. I will not post anything in regards to anything that I physically do not have in my possession.
– Speaking of things in my possession, I will not open anything that is not open.
– Arranging cards, such as to clean my desk, is okay. If I can’t do this, I would be paralyzed in my room. I am the guy who found a toploader under his pillow this year.
In full transparency, there is a chance that I may have to pick something card related up that I already paid for. This will either be put off or done in conjunction with an errand in that area. However picking it up will add an extra day to what I am trying to do.
– I have an eBay alert for a couple of specific cards that I am looking for. If for some reason, one appears then I will be penalized the following: one day for viewing the actual eBay page, three days for a bid, half day on notifications the final day of auction when I will get an alert. I believe that I have bids on a card. If for some reason I win that then I will pay but I will penalized a day. I cannot bid anything during this time.
– If I win a contest that I already entered. Doing so will add an extra day to this. which brings us too:
– No penalty on the first day unless I exceed fifteen minutes. I need to train my brain on this day.
– Deviating on any day after will have a one day additional penalty. Penalty is unlimited after the fourth day, meaning that if I mess up at noon on Friday and then mess up at 12:30, that counts as two days.
– I intend to blog my thoughts on this throughout the week, with at least two entries.
– I am doing this to not feel left out of all of the fun that is going on at National.
– To become a healthy collector. I am seeing collecting become an addiction for some people. Heck that is part of the reason why I started this site. I love sports cards but I love my sanity even more. I hope the heart grows fonder with this.
Here is an Amazon deal guaranteed to be actually be a deal instead of a perception of a deal:
Also, here is a preview of this week’s #RandomReview.
If you are seeing this after the fact, grab the book while you can as the $2.99 price tag will go up in August. If you purchase this and want a PDF copy to read, I will be happy to send it to you for no cost – even if you snagged it for free. Offer doesn’t expire unless I find out that I am violating some Amazon policy. Just hit me up on Twitter or in the comments to take me up on it.