April 17, 2017 § Leave a comment
I just checked my calendar and am thankful enough to have a busy week so I am posting this tonight. As readers know, I have a bad tendency to sit on maildays. In this case, sitting on a Christmas ‘gift’ worked out. I was hungry for a box of cards because I didn’t get any on Easter. Thankfully I had my 2016 Goodwin Champions box to help, or did I. Before I move on I want to thank GoGTSLive, the best sports card show on the planet that airs every Thursday for sending this me. This low budget collector got a box that I have always enjoyed because of them. Unfortunately I got skunked on the holiday two times over. Fortunately a bad box of Goodwin Champions is still a good box.
I really only issue with the box as you will see.
Going to start off with the bad first. The best card from the box wasn’t even a hit but this Justin Gatlin Lady Luck cloth mini. Beautiful card but the way that it was loaded in the pack caused it to be damaged. The right side is so beat up that it looks like it was shipped without a toploader in a plain white envelope. The card came out bent as a result of the placement in the pact, but after being sandwiched between all the decoy cards to try and smooth it out, it is better. Beautiful card. Actually if you look at the card for sale on COMC it looks worse off than mine: https://www.comc.com/Cards/MultiSport/2016/Upper_Deck_Goodwin_Champions_-_Base_-_Cloth_Minis_Lady_Luck_Back/71/Justin_Gatlin/11561047 I am going to be including a ton of COMC links to show comparable cards in this post, none of which are mine. Pictures don’t do the cloth justice. It had potential to be a real beautiful card.
Let’s move on to the hits. Both nothing to boast about. A relic of a golfer that I have never heard of and a autograph Canadian Rugby player who I have definitely never heard of.
Like the relic? You can buy one just like it for 95 cents: https://www.comc.com/Cards/MultiSport/2016/Upper_Deck_Goodwin_Champions_-_Memorabilia/M-RS/Robert_Streb/11561816
As for the autograph, well you can buy a similar one for 90 cents: https://www.comc.com/Cards/MultiSport/2016/Upper_Deck_Goodwin_Champions_-_Autographs/A-JM/John_Moonlight/11559566
So you can buy the autograph and relic card that I pulled from this box for less than well, insert inane item here – I am sure that you can think of something better than me. In fairness, I could easily see myself taking a dollar flyer on a bid board for these exact cards. The autograph card is even a definite personal collection item. So is the last hit in the next picture. The black cards in the picture look nice but that is all they are. They look too nice to be the 30 cent base cards that they are: https://www.comc.com/Cards/MultiSport/2016/Upper_Deck_Goodwin_Champions_-_Base,sc,p2,i100
Interestingly if you look at the ‘hits’ for sale from this set, I pulled probably 2 of the cheapest 10 for sale. I hate that I think that way now.
The last hit was a patch card unique to the product. I was ecstatic to pull it as I have never seen one of these in person. Unfortunately I realized it is because I have been so focused on my other collecting endeavors, and I could’ve scooped up one of this at a reasonable price if I wanted. Just like this one that you can get for $3.30 https://www.comc.com/Cards/MultiSport/2016/Upper_Deck_Goodwin_Champions_-_Origin_of_Species_Patches/OS-209/Tier_1_-_Moeritherium/11568861
This box was giving on one front: the amount of decoy cards in the box. Take a look at this crazy stack:
The base set and inserts are really great. I would love to put together a base set of this, and insert set for that matter.
April 15, 2017 § Leave a comment
I picked up a handful of cards this week from Ebay that put a dent in my Prestige collection. At this point it is pretty hard to find a seller that has a ton of cards I need. The first 4 pictures, 12 cards, 10 that I needed are from 1 seller. By some miracle, I paid about $20 for the lot. The reality is that if you told me I could get a quarter of these for that price, I would’ve taken it; albeit not been ecstatic. Here is a grievance though, $8 of that $20 was for shipping. The seller didn’t even pocket the majority of the money as he shipped it in a box with peanuts instead of a bubble mailer. On the plus side, I could say that I put a dent in my collection for dollar cards. They may look like it but they are not; and that is not just me saying that. I could’ve paid $12.99 for a similar David West card, which is what I essentially paid for the lot.
Those pictures were boring I know. Here is some to jazz things up. I picked these cards, the Anthony boys, for cheap in hopes that I can flip them and recoup what I paid.
I also picked up this. I needed the Chris Paul. I loved the Tyrus Thomas patch as it shows how great the Bobcats colors were. I figure that I can flip the Stuckey.
March 6, 2017 § Leave a comment
For starters, I am not bipolar. Not that you need to know but I have been tested extensively on that because of my PTSD. Internet drama can make anyone crazy. I have a few ex-girlfriends who can back me up on that. Now let’s move on to what happened after my earlier post:
– I accepted defeat after the post.
– I went back and forth on Twitter with AskEbay. I wanted to report the buyer for scamming me more than anything. That ended up turning into nothing. No big deal.
– I took it upon myself to look up similar items and message about 30 sellers with bids on their item the following message: “I am sending you this message because I sold a similar item. User “deadshotspokemon ” scammed me because I didn’t physically send him the codes. I messaged them to him on Ebay messaging of all things and he claimed that he never received the codes. The worst part, when he opened a case, Ebay gave him his money back even though he used the codes. Ebay said that I needed a tracking number. I am suggest you send them to whoever buys them to protect yourself.”
March 2, 2017 § Leave a comment
Feel like I am experiencing card burnout. Constantly on Ebay focusing on my PC, and trying to break even by selling my non PC cards.
— Angry Card Collector (@angryccollector) March 2, 2017
Even if I buy a card I need for .99 cents, I still have to pay shipping. Whereas if I sell a card, all I pocket is the card price. So I have to sell at least 2 cards, but usually more for every one card that I sell. http://www.ebay.com/sch/pandanwh/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from= Here is a big secret on my cards with best offer: I set them to automatically accept certain offers made; and in some cases that is less than half the ‘buy it now’ price.
I am close to completing another part of my Prestige collection. I know this burn out will be worth it. I just need to get through it.
My big need is right now is Larry Bird True Colors jersey.
February 24, 2017 § 1 Comment
This weekend I tackled sorting my cards. I have 4 boxes that fit 3,500 each box and there wasn’t a method as to how they were organized. With it raining I and me feeling unproductive, I decided to sort them by sport. Below is a stream on consciousness over 4 days of sorting. Tomorrow, I will be posting some of my personal favorites that I came across. Also, a few will be posted on my Ebay for sale, and my SportsCardAlbum for trade.
- Feeling down because some cards look beat up like crazy.
- It’s amazing how some cards can look better than the day they were produced but others would look at home in the thrash.
- Oh crap, I can’t penny sleeve them all.
- I an putting aside a lot of rookies and players with no experience. I wonder how many of these guys were career minor leaguers when the card was produced. Like it matters, if I never heard of them then I should be junking them anyway.
- My back really hurts.
- Will the cats please leave me alone. I know that I am in there space but I need to protect the cards.
- Found remnants of a horrible box I cracked. Andres Toress auto & Tyler Colvin jersey card; yuck.
- Hey Andrew Miller’s rookie is worth something after all; not much but I remember tossing the card in here when I thought that he was a bust.
- I really enjoyed the sticker books as a kid. Too bad that I write them off as an adult.
Donruss baseball 2005, the set that got me back into collecting
- I made it to box 2. I wasn’t expecting this. I don’t have enough room in my room or the house. I’ll manage though. This feels good.
- Dave Parker was an Angel?
- I am really appreciating anyone who had a long career. So many failed prospects over all sports.
- Jamier Moyer was a Cardinal?
- Dave Parker was an Angel?
- Its been a while since I last saw a John Elway card. For a while, it felt like I owned all of his cards.
- Seems like the cats know better now. They get the importance because I never get mad at them.
- Lee Smith was an Angel?
A Red Sock?
- Louis Polonia; feels like he is everywhere now in my collection.
- Found an early Tom Candiotti card. He always looked old.
- I feel like I could ditch half of my football cards tomorrow and not care.
Panthers base cards still do it for me though. It is cool because as I was sorting the cards, they stuck out to me like the autos and relics did.
- I have too many baseball cards. Worst part is, they are all base from 80s, 90s, and early 00s so they are probably worthless. I can just imagine a thief taking my baseball boxes, thinking he hit the jackpot but then pulling a but then realizing that they are all crappy Dodgers from yesteryear.
February 22, 2017 § Leave a comment
I loved reading everyone’s comments about my entry yesterday. I didn’t realize how many of you have gone through the same feelings. Today, you won’t find anything buzzworthy. What you will see is my personal favorites from sorting; and in some cases the stories that come with them. Don’t worry, less than 400 words if you remove this.
Wally Szczerbiak autographed floor piece, and a no name prospect, Earl Snyder, cut box score. As I Googled them to make sure that I spelled Wally’s name right, and whatever happened to Earl Snyder, I learned that Earl is older than Wally.
– 2 of my all time favorite Hall of Famers. I was a Tom Glavine fan the second I read on the back of his baseball card that he played hockey; even though I loathed the Braves as a kid. I learned to appreciate Morten Anderson after my best friend from Denmark made me realize that Anderson was born there.
– This was one of those random coincidences. I was searching during the week of Valentine’s Day and I found one from one of the most important people in my life who is now gone. I remember sticking it in with the cards. I do random things like that. I also will stick a five dollar or one dollar bill with my cards every now and then. I didn’t find any money.
– One of my all time favorite pulls. I got a birthday box to open the year that Paul Millsap was a rookie and pulled this. Normally second rounders are throwaway filler autographs but I got to watch him grow and appreciate him.
– For some reason packs of RockCards were always around. I remember opening packs of them as late as 2003 – they came out in 1991 it looks like. I did listen to good music as a kid but was never much for metal, with the exception of early Metallica albums – I listened to a ton of punk in middle school, Bad Religion, Epitaph & Nitro Records type music. Now though, Megadeth and Testament, are in my music rotation, and they have their own cards in this set. https://www.comc.com/Cards,sh,i100,=RockCards
February 16, 2017 § Leave a comment
First things first if you want a Misery Pack, I will sell you one for $7 Paypal friends & family, or $9 normal Paypal in the United States. Message me and say that you saw this post; my email is firstname.lastname@example.org – don’t send Paypal there as it isn’t my Paypal email. I have basketball, baseball, and football.
Reality, and also demand for Misery Packs, has forced me to start selling.
I have listed a bunch of cards on Ebay. If the prices seem high, it is because I used COMC for comparison pricing. I don’t really go by the last one sold, if one isn’t currently actively for sale. I have been working on a rant about this that will probably be posted next week. I stand by this, as I have had to pay a premium for some no names in my Prestige collection.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pandanwh – I will trade or sell any cards outside of Ebay if you message me.
I have a bunch of cards available for trade. You can find them here:
https://sportscardalbum.com/u/angrycardcollector – these cards are only for trade and not for sale. I am not even saying that because I am trying to circumvent from having to pay for premium on Sports Card Album. Most were given to me, and the rest are not worth much to sell to begin with.
As for what I want. I am pretty much exclusively working on attaining every relic and insert for Prestige Basketball 13/14. I have been working on it since the product came out. If you can fill in the few gaps that I have let me know. What I have is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1283IVFB0Z4vrxZQWJo944UWIcoC5Lc5aMZjJ_9wGySs/pub
My big fish right now that I am looking for are: CJ McCollum Prestigious Premieres autograph, and Cazzie Russell True Colors jersey.
If you don’t have Prestige basketball for trade and want one of my cards, I would be open to Dodgers, Carolina Panthers, and hockey players from Denmark.
I am selling a couple of cards that are accidental duplicates to my collection from COMC. You can find those here: http://www.comc.com/Users/pandanwh,sn,i100
On the plus side, selling will make me a more well rounded collector. It is not a bad thing that some of my rants will apply to more people.